Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Backyard

I used to hate that backyard, 
cutting the grass sideways 
on that steep slope, stretching 
my sneakers on the right side 
of the instep, staining the soles, 
sweat creeping inside the shoe. 
Coming off that hill led to 
my father's garden, rows of 
greens and beans and tomatoes 
growing alongside the fallen walnuts 
randomly scattered about. 
Then on the other side 
of the chain link fence 
were shrubs and weeds that 
looked like a mini jungle. 
I remember seeing snakes 
crawling in the brush 
and I rushed through this part, 
pushing my lawn mower  
as hard and fast as I could. 
After all those adventures 
I shut my mower off and stood 
covered in sweat, grass, and 
the occasional mosquito bite, 
seeing my hard work resulting in 
a level cut of nature and 
my father standing at  
the top of the hill, 
nodding his approval. 

No comments: