Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Friday, May 11, 2012

Mirror


Sometimes I look in the mirror
and I see a younger version of myself
staring back at me with a snicker,
wondering how the hell I got to be
so damn mellow, retiring
for evenings at the same time
he's ready to run the town.
I can see the youthful features of me
glowing in the mirror, looking
forward to blaze trails
across the great unknown.
He dares me to stop with
the suburban routines and just run,
run all day and night,
run up and down the streets and highways,
run until you drop,
and then just keep running.
But I have to tell him
time is moving on and
the days of youthful indiscretion
are things of the past.
His running then
has me here now
wondering if I could've been
somewhere else had he just
stopped and thought it over.
But it is what it is
and we are both here
staring at each other
forever connected.

1 comment:

Brian Miller said...

smiles...i def dont think i can run like my older self...maybe i just run in a different way you know...but i too can see him in the mirror somedays...nice write man...