Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tennis Is Not The Right Metaphor

You said
the ball was in your court
and you would
lob it back over.

I'm still waiting for you
to hit the ball back
so we can play this game
like it should be played.

A back and forth affair,
the exercise of
serving and returning,
verbal banter becoming

like rallies, our backhands
and forehands zipped
over the net as we
enjoy the court together.

But as I stand
at the ready, I see
nothing heading back to me.
This is not tennis.

This metaphor is a game
of catch.  So now I say this:
Throw the damn ball
or I'm going home.

7 comments:

Claudia said...

ha..this is clever..yep..good to stick to the rules...even more in real life..

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Excellent! Loved every bit of this. Good poem, my friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the laugh, great twist.

Brian Miller said...

smiles....aint no fun when they dont want to play...nice vernon...need to get back to RVA and see you all...still no power here...

Denise Golinowski said...

Very funny! Sad to think how often it occurs.

Denise Golinowski/Author

Matthew Quinn said...

Well said!

hedgewitch said...

HA! Damn straight. Fish or cut bait. Great staccato delivery to this.