Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Open Mic at Art6 Gallery

Friday, October 14, 2011

My First Non-Poem Entry

I actually thought about starting a second blog just for entries like this.  There was a part of me that wanted to separate the poet part of me from the writer part of me.  But after thinking about it, I realized I didn't need to do that.  Honestly, I just write.  I don't have any real plans of what I'm going to write or in what format it will be in.  Like the Nike ad campaign, I just do it.

But this past week made me realize just how hard at times it is to just do it.  This past weekend I attended a wonderful James River Writers Conference.  I learned a lot about writing and writers, met many wonderful people, and was really fired up to write like crazy.  However, the week has brought many reminders that the world outside of the writing community doesn't share my viewpoints.  My church has been clamoring even more so to be more involved in activities and committees.  My people at my job made sure to remind me just how much I was missed on Friday because to them, things just don't operate the same with me in my department.  It just makes me feel that some can only see me within a certain capacity or vision.  That's why I enjoy to write.  It is the antithesis of these things.  I can create and talk about whatever I want and however I want.

This will always be something that I will have to fight.  But it's a fight worth having and a fight worth winning.  Because in the end, something good will come out of my writing.

Stay tuned to find out.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Gaucher said...

I like this a lot. "This is why I write" -- many people can't or don't articulate this. Nice post.